As the spring turkey season gets closer and closer, crossbow hunters are gearing up for what promises to be an exhilarating hunt. The key to a successful turkey hunt with a crossbow lies not just in skill and stealth but also in selecting the right equipment. Among the most critical pieces of gear are broadheads, the business end of your hunting arrows. Choosing the right broadhead can make a significant difference in your hunting experience and success rate. In this comprehensive guide, we delve into the world of broadheads specifically designed for turkey hunting with a crossbow. We’ll explore various types, discuss their unique features, and provide insights on what makes a broadhead ideal for bringing down these swift and elusive game birds. Whether you’re a seasoned hunter or new to the crossbow scene, we aim to equip you with the knowledge to select the best broadheads for your turkey hunting adventures.
- Best Overall Turkey Crossbow Broadhead
- Best Headshot Turkey Crossbow Broadhead
- Best Turkey Crossbow Broadhead for the Price
- Most Versatile Turkey Crossbow Broadhead
- Selecting the broadhead for you
Best Overall Turkey Crossbow Broadhead – Average Price $34 – RAGE Xtreme Turkey Broadhead 100 Grain (Click to Shop)
The, Rage Xtreme Turkey broadheads for crossbows offer a combination of wide cutting diameter, mechanical efficiency, sharpness, reliable deployment, and cutting-edge (pun intended) technology making them an excellent choice for hunters seeking to maximize their success and ethics in turkey hunting. Combined with its extremely reasonable price point and versatility to other animals as well, it gets our vote for the best overall turkey crossbow broadheads, barely inching out the Turkey D-Cap.
- Cutting Diameter (4.5 out of 5): The Rage XTreme Turkey Broadheads have a 2 and 1/8 cutting diameter but also boast a .75″ meat-hook tip insuring a clean and ethical kill on both the head and vitals.
- Specialized Design for Turkeys (5 out of 5): These broadheads are specifically designed for turkey hunting. From the meat hook cut on contact tip, to the .035″ thick blade, and blunt notches on each side are designed to slow the arrow quickly after impact to impair one or both wings for both faster and safer kills.
- Flight Characteristics (4.5 out of 5): These 100-Grain broadheads have a precision-machined and anodized alluminum combined with the patented Rage Shock Collar for optimized blade retention and consistent flight patterns.
- Price Point (5 out of 5): $17 per broadhead is a great price point for a high performing broadhead. Made in the USA.
Best Headshot Turkey Crossbow Broadhead – Average Price of $59 – The Turkey D-Cap 200 grain (Click to Shop for a 2 pack)
The Turkey D-Cap broadheads have gained popularity among turkey hunters for a few reasons, making them a highly effective choice for turkey hunting and widely considered the most ethical. These broadheads will either make a clean ethical kill, or a miss.
- Cutting Diameter: 5 out of 5. The Turkey D-Cap broadheads are designed 4″ cutting diameter. This feature is crucial in turkey hunting because it increases the likelihood of hitting vital areas, and head – given the relatively small size and mobility of turkeys. The large cutting diameter ensures more significant tissue damage, leading to a quicker and more humane kill.
- Designed for Turkeys: 4.5 out of 5. These broadheads are also specifically designed for turkey hunting. This specialization means that every aspect of the broadhead, from the blade design to the 200 grain size, is optimized for taking down turkeys. Such targeted design enhances effectiveness compared to using broadheads designed for general or big game hunting.
- Flight Characteristics (4.5 out of 5): Despite their large cutting surface, Turkey D-Cap broadheads are engineered to maintain excellent flight characteristics.
- Price Point (3.5 out of 5): $30 per broadhead. The steepest price point on the market, but justifiably worth the cost. Made in the USA.
Best Turkey Crossbow Broadhead for the Price – Average Price $34 – Magnus Bullhead (Click to Shop for a 3 pack).
Before reading any further you must know this, this broadhead doesn’t work with all crossbows. The Magnus Bullhead turkey crossbow broadheads have a loyal following in the turkey hunting community, and in large part due to their value. Many users report that it’s the only broadhead they’ll ever use as they feel it’s just as good as the competition and for the price it has sustained itself as a valuable go-to product for users that plan on hunting their whole life. Do we think it’s as strong as the prior 2? No. But is it close enough to be worth the savings, absolutely.
- Cutting Diameter: 4 out of 5. A 2 and 3/4 cutting diameter in 100 grain or 3 and 3/4 cutting diamter in the 125-grain, depending on which you choose.
- Designed for Turkeys: 4 out of 5. Just a solid, sharp, well designed broadhead for turkey hunting. While specifically designed for turkey hunting, there is no cutting edge or new technology that separates it from many turkey broadheads.
- Flight Characteristics (4.5 out of 5): Very consistent and true flight characteristics.
- Price Point (5 out of 5): $9 per broadhead – how do you beat that for a good product like this.
Most Versatile Turkey Crossbow Broadhead – Average Price $43 – RAGE Hypodermic 2 Blade in 100 and 125 Grain (Click to Shop)
The RAGE Hypodermix 2 Blade gets our pick for most versatile as it’s great for all game, all hunting, and just so happens to be great for turkeys as well. RAGE is a trusted brand, perhaps the most trusted brand, and topped our list of the best crossbow broadheads.
- Cutting Diameter: 4 out of 5. A 2+ inch cutting diameter is designed to put down turkeys on most placements.
- Designed for Turkeys: 3 out of 5. While it works well on turkeys, this product is not specifically designed for turkeys.
- Flight Characteristics (4.5 out of 5): Very consistent and true flight characteristics.
- Price Point (5 out of 5): $14 per broadhead is an extremely fair price point for one of, if not the, best broadheads on the market.
If one of the above broadheads didn’t sell you, remember these factors to consider when finding the best turkey broadheads for crossbows. The best broadhead is one that suits your hunting style, crossbow setup, and provides the greatest chance for a quick, humane kill. It’s advisable to practice with your chosen broadhead to understand its flight characteristics and impact effectiveness. As promised, here are some important factors to consider:
- Type of Broadhead: There are generally three types of broadheads: fixed-blade, mechanical, and hybrid. Fixed-blade broadheads are known for their reliability and strength, making them a good choice for turkey hunting. Mechanical broadheads have expanding blades that offer a larger cutting diameter, which can be beneficial for hitting the vital areas of a turkey. Hybrids combine features of both fixed and mechanical designs.
- Cutting Diameter: The cutting diameter of a broadhead is especially important for turkey hunting. Turkeys are smaller targets with vital areas that are more compact compared to larger game. A broadhead with a larger cutting diameter increases the chances of hitting a vital area, but it’s important to balance this with the potential for decreased penetration.
- Weight/Flight Characteristics: The weight of the broadhead affects the flight of the arrow and its penetration. Most turkey hunters prefer a broadhead weight of 100 to 125 grains. This range offers a good balance between speed, trajectory, and penetration. The broadhead should fly true and accurately from your specific crossbow setup. The aerodynamics of the broadhead can greatly influence its flight path. Test different broadheads with your bow to see which ones offer the best accuracy.
- Sharpness: The sharpness of the blades is critical. A sharp broadhead ensures a clean and ethical kill by facilitating quick and humane penetration. Always check and maintain the sharpness of your broadheads before use.
- Penetration: Penetration is key to ensure that the arrow reaches the vital organs for a quick and ethical kill. While a large cutting diameter is beneficial, it shouldn’t compromise the broadhead’s ability to penetrate deeply.
- Legal Considerations: Always check local and state regulations regarding the use of certain types of broadheads for hunting. Some areas may have restrictions on the use of mechanical broadheads or specific requirements for blade count and cutting diameter.
Choosing the right crossbow broadhead for turkey hunting is a critical decision that can greatly impact the outcome of your hunt. As we’ve explored, options like the Turkey D-Cap and Rage Xtreme Turkey broadheads offer unique advantages tailored to the specific challenges of turkey hunting, while others are just great broadheads that can help ethically harvest a turkey as well. These broadheads provide a combination of wide cutting diameters, mechanical efficiency, sharp blade quality, and flight accuracy, enhancing your chances of a successful and ethical harvest.
Whether you prioritize the massive cutting diameter of the Turkey D-Cap for a larger wound channel or the precision and hemorrhaging effectiveness of the Rage Xtreme Turkey broadheads, the key is to select a broadhead that aligns with your hunting style, equipment, and ethical considerations. Each broadhead has its unique features and benefits, so it’s essential to consider your personal preferences, local hunting regulations, and the specific requirements of turkey hunting when making your choice.
Remember, no broadhead can substitute for practicing on crossbow targets, utilizing the best crossbow scopes, patience, and skill in the field. Spend time practicing with your chosen broadheads to understand their flight characteristics and impact performance. By combining the right equipment with honed skills and knowledge of turkey behavior, you stand the best chance of enjoying a successful and rewarding turkey hunting season.
Affiliate Disclosure: This article was written without bias or any paid advertising from the companies and brands listed above. Affiliate links were placed in the article after submission from the writers. If you found this review helpful, and plan to purchase some broadheads – please use the links above where we earn a small commission at no additional cost to you – thank you.